Planck’s latest all-sky survey presents a model of the thermal dust emission. This new model provides an estimate of the temperature of dust throughout the sky and an improved estimate of the dust opacity.
The technical paper has a lot of interesting analyses and can be found here.
Image: A map of the dust optical depth. The Galactic center is towards the center of the map.
Physicists at the Large Hadron Collider have just detected a subatomic process even more elusive than the mass-endowing Higgs itself: a scattering of two same-charged particles called W bosons off one another. It may not sound quite as exciting as the decades-long hunt for the Higgs and its Nobel-winning discovery, but it’s a testament to the absurd precision possible at the LHC.
So how rare is this scattering? Just imagine pulling a needle out of 100 trillion pieces of exploding hay.
And why sift through all that data? It’s a crucial test of the Standard Model that describes the quantum world in glorious and elegant detail. Also, it may lead us into uncharted territory:
“The Standard Model has so far survived all tests, but we know that it is incomplete because there are observations of dark matter, dark energy, and the antimatter/matter asymmetry in the universe that can’t be explained by the Standard Model,” Pleier said. So physicists are always looking for new ways to test the theory, to find where and how it might break down.
A few days ago, we found out that comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko is a contact binary. Now we have a rotating view of it. This gif uses 36 images each separated by 20 minutes to show a 360° view of the comet. It takes the comet 12.4 hours to complete one rotation.
A new image of comet 67P/Churymov-Gerasimenko shows that it is actually two smaller objects that have come in contact. The shape of the comet proposes an interesting challenge for the Rosetta spacecraft and its lander, Philae. Later this year, Philae is expected to land on the comet.
This month is the 45th anniversary of the first moon landing and NASA will celebrate with many events to mark the occasion during the next two weeks.
During the event, NASA will share photos and video footage of the moon landing, both on their website and on NASA TV. In addition, NASA TV will broadcast some panel discussions with scientists and astronauts about the future of space exploration and other interesting topics.
There are also two NASA Social events, one in Virginia and one in Florida, for those interested in signing up to attend. The deadline to register is July 15th at 5 PM EDT.
For the whole lineup of events, visit this NASA press release and follow the hashtags #NextGiantLeap and #Apollo45.
Authors: P. Mösta, S. Richers, C. D. Ott, R. Haas, A. L. Piro, K. Boydstun, E. Abdikamalov, C. Reisswig, E. Schnetter
When a massive star reaches the end of its life, it collapses into a supernova. This results in a large amount of energy being released. The majority of this energy, ~99%, is released in the form of neutrinos, and the remaining 1% is the energy that drives a supernova. A large explosion like this is a core-collapse supernova.
Astronomers can see the results of a supernova, but what drives a massive star to undergo this dramatic process and create such a large explosion is not fully understood.
In an attempt to better understand what leads to a core-collapse supernova, astrophysicists created 3D simulations of rapidly rotating, strongly magnetized, core-collapse supernovae. When comparing their results with 2D simulations having the same initial conditions, the astrophysicists found that the 3D and 2D core-collapse supernovae were fundamentally different.
In 2D, bipolar jets are produced, but in 3D, a magnetohydrodynamic instability causes two asymmetric polar lobes to form instead. This instability occurs in a shorter time scale than what is needed for the jets to develop.
If the lobes expand outward, there will be accretion of matter and the star will eventually collapse to form a black hole, resulting in a gamma ray burst and a core-collapse supernova.
Yesterday, @AstroKatie challenged researchers to create a 140 character description of what they’re researching. Using the hashtag #1tweetresearch, many people have responded with their brief descriptions of the cool and interesting research that they are doing.
You can look through all of the responses on Twitter, or you can see selected tweets on Storify. If you are doing some cool research and want to share, join the conversation!